Reading My Story...

Opinions and views respond to the story do not give any warranty on accuracy, completeness, usefulness, fitness for any particular purpose or other assurances as to the opinions and views expressed in this blog. This blog disclaims all responsibility for any losses suffered directly or indirectly arising from reliance on such opinions and views.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Who should I please?

I AM an only child and still studying. I started a relationship with a guy after my SPM and I still don’t know if I’m doing the right thing. My parents don’t know about him because they’ve told me not to have a boyfriend while I’m still studying.
This guy likes me very much and wants to go out with me and do the things couples do. But I cannot as I’m afraid my parents will find it out. Whenever I go out, they will ask questions like who I’m going out with, what time I’ll be back, my friend’s telephone numbers, etc.
I dare not disappoint my parents as they have placed their hopes on me, although they don’t say it. Before this, I had a boyfriend but I kept that from them. Later, when I told my mother, she cried and asked me to break up. I could not cope with the stress, so I did.
Now, I feel like I’m torturing myself and the new guy. He misses me and is always asking me out. I do feel happy being with him, but for now, phone calls and SMS messages are enough. I have thought of breaking up with him as we feel more tortured than happy. What should I do that’s best for both of us, and my parents?
Lost and confused

YOU gave up on your last relationship because you did not want to disappoint your parents. The way you feel, you will have problems with love because of the guilt of having to cheat and lie to them.
As a filial daughter, you shoulder a heavy burden. You are young, lovely and full of life, and it’s natural that guys find you attractive. This is also a time of sexual and emotional awakening for you. Having to respect and abide by your parents’ wishes means having to suppress your own feelings and inclinations.
Sometimes, parents put too much pressure on their kids out of love and the need to do what they think is best. You dared not pursue a sweet, innocent first love because you did not want to hurt yours. Now, you have come to yet another similar cycle. How long can you put off your feelings and hopes? Worst, you know that you have to hurt someone, regardless of your decision. Sadly, you are probably the most affected party. To please your parents, you have to hurt the guy. If you follow your heart, you bear the guilt and pain of hurting your parents.
Perhaps you should talk to them again. Tell them your pain and ask for their understanding. Assure them that if love affects your studies, then you will give up the relationship. Don’t just stop at this. Learn to share a little of your feelings, plans and thoughts. Let them into part of your life so that they need not fear so much for their little girl’s future.
If you have dreams, do not be afraid to flex your wings and fly. Parents wish to guide and protect but should not cause so much emotional pressure to keep you close and safe. You will make your mistakes, learn, hurt and pick yourself up again. There should be no blame, guilt or regrets.