Reading My Story...

Opinions and views respond to the story do not give any warranty on accuracy, completeness, usefulness, fitness for any particular purpose or other assurances as to the opinions and views expressed in this blog. This blog disclaims all responsibility for any losses suffered directly or indirectly arising from reliance on such opinions and views.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Odious parents?

I’M 20 and am having problems with my parents. I seem to hate them more and more.
Dad, 56, loves asking questions that don’t makes sense at all, over and over again. When business is bad, mum throws tantrums, cries and says that we don’t care about her. She has even threatened suicide. Recently, they scolded me because of a customer.
I always tell dad that I’ll put them in an old folk’s home one day. I plan to emigrate, and not take them with me. I know I can’t do this. What is wrong with me?
Fading Love

HOW would you feel if your child threatened to dump you in a retirement home? You may have good reasons to feel aggravated, but such a threat is unfair punishment for parents who have raised you the best way they know how.
In your heart, you know you are wrong. However, you seem to be consumed by anger and frustration. Your parents appear to provoke you with their every action. You feel you hate them because everything they do is wrong in your eyes. Dad is annoyingly repetitive and mum upsets you with her tears and accusations.
Think about the reasons behind their behaviour. Dad asks too many questions; could it be that he cares too much about you? Mum is constantly crying suicide and wailing about her woes, when business is bad. But could it be that she’s worried about money?
Instead of thinking about how you feel, it’s about time you show more concern for your parents. Ask yourself if you have always been right. If you were rude to a customer, was your mother wrong to chastise you? What will happen to all of you if bad business affects the family’s financial situation?
Learn understanding and patience. Do not let things get on your nerves just because you are annoyed and irritated. Run away, leave home if you feel this is only way to feel better about your life. But don’t go running back for love, comfort and support when you find that the world out there is as cold and selfish as you.