Reading My Story...

Opinions and views respond to the story do not give any warranty on accuracy, completeness, usefulness, fitness for any particular purpose or other assurances as to the opinions and views expressed in this blog. This blog disclaims all responsibility for any losses suffered directly or indirectly arising from reliance on such opinions and views.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Pressured to conform

I AM 28 and facing problems finding a job. I have a degree but my field of study does not match the demands of the job market.
All my friends have found stable jobs and are doing well. Some are even married, with kids, cars and a house. I’m keen on biological research and wish to continue studying till I get my PhD. But my parents keep comparing me with the lesser-qualified children of relatives who have family, money and house. Mum says, “What’s the use of studying and not being able to find a job?”
I have tried explaining that scientific knowledge cannot be measured in the same way but they don’t understand. Mum thinks it will be a waste of money to send me for further studies. I feel pressured. I’m ashamed whenever people ask about my present situation. I just ignore them but my parents say I’m being rude. Why do they want to know when they don’t even support me?
Depressed

NEVER be ashamed of your love and passion for knowledge. There is more wealth in happiness and contentment than slaving at a job you have no interest in.
Take pride in your decision and you will not feel pressure or regret. Your mother’s complaints could be due to concern for your future. Parents usually worry that their children cannot earn a decent earning. Sometimes, it’s because they want to be able to brag to friends, neighbours and relatives that their child is brilliant, earns good money and can give them a comfortable life.
However, it is normal to have your own needs and wants. The tinge of envy you feel for friends with family, car and house shows that you are ready for something more than your studies. You realise that you need a job and feel some frustration that there is little demand for your field of study.
Do not hit out at others when you are under pressure. While it is annoying to have to deal with busybodies, just smile and ignore their unwanted attention. There is no need to be rude and sullen as this reflects badly on your character and personality.
Instead of feeling frustrated and sorry for yourself, check out career opportunities locally and abroad. Many young adults have managed to start up new businesses based on their expertise and special knowledge. Fast-changing technology offers many more opportunities for people like you.
While you may not yearn for a lot of money, you do need to survive on your own. It’s not right to depend on your aging parents for financial support for too long. Be confident and do not be afraid to take charge of your life and future. Be more relaxed when it comes to talk and gossip and you will not feel so bowed by hopes and expectations.